Saturday, January 24, 2015

dark skies

After four years in Light Pollution Central, I was dying to see stars.

October granted my wish in Banff, Canada. I stared in awe, mouth dropped wide open except for the release of elongated "ooh"s and "aah"s. This was only the appetizer. A triple whammy of clouds, scattered rain, and a full moon (as the second brightest source of light next to the sun, Mr. Moon is public enemy no. 1 in stargazing circles) prevented the naked eye from seeing much twinkle, twinkle littles.

Then came November, taking me to Joshua Tree, California.

No words.

To my great dismay, however, the method I used back in Canada didn't work out this time as the genius of a brain in my head forgot to set focus to infinity. Incredible sights, blurry photos. Tears.

December brought redemption on a silver platter semi-broken tripod. Despite the forecasted rain and clouds throughout the night, neither stinker showed up. God is the sweetest.

I've got a long ways to go, but here's to gazing at sparkling celestial beings more often, from various geographic coordinates.






Sorry Disneyland, but World of Color got nothing on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment