Friday, February 6, 2015

a trip too mammoth

I'm okay at some sports, and not bad at others. Snowboarding? None of the above.
The answer is H) a huge slice of humble pie. One I almost choked on.


Up until this point - December 17, 2014 to be exact - I used to think I was athletic. Nope. This fateful day changed everything. A month and a half later, I am still in awe of how much I suck at snowboarding.

Being a prideful piece of flesh, I hate quitting. Whatever the task may be, I push myself to the limits, sometimes letting the competitive Christine take over and secretly intending to "outdo" others. This day, however, my body (perhaps more so my mind and ego) was in so much pain that I gave up - I would not return the next day, even though everyone else would enjoy boarding part two.

What a physically taxing (and literally tear-jerking) way to learn. Musings on independence versus community to follow. But for now, I end by honoring my heroes.

I owe my survival on this day to coaches of the year and champions of patience
Connie and
Trevmo. 
Thank you for saving my butt, and for not giving up on me! You guys are life savers.

No comments:

Post a Comment